Made in Lagos by Wizkid has broken multiple records in the Nigerian music industry.
Made in Lagos is Wizkid‘s fourth studio album released on October 30, 2020, by Starboy Entertainment and RCA Records.
It features guest appearances from British artists Skepta and Ella Mai, American R&B singer H.E.R., Jamaican artists Projexx and Damian Marley, and Nigerian artists Burna Boy, Tems, Tay Iwar, and Terri.
The album has been aging well now couple with an impressive PR rollout around the world, with the Tems assisted track making waves in the US as the summer song of the year.
The projects seem to have viable commercial potentiality and international acceptance that will yield more records.
Below are some of the notable records broken so far
- “Essence” is the first African song to reach the top 50 on Apple Music in the United States, peaked at 21
- Essence peaked 29 on the US Spotify viral 50, the highest-peaking Nigerian song on the chart.
- Made In Lagos spent 34 weeks and still counting in the Billboard world album chart, the longest-charting Nigerian song this decade on the chart.
- Made in Lagos is the only album in Nigeria history that has two songs debut on the UK singles official chart (Ginger & Essence)
Essence debuted at 19 on Billboard bubblin Under hot 100, the first Nigerian song to debut on the chart.
- Essence appeared on 7 Billboard charts, the most for any Nigerian song, which includes
Bubbling Under Hot 100, Hot R&B Songs, World Digital Song Sales, R&B/Hip-Hop Digital Song Sales, Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay, R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay, R&B Digital Song Sales.
- Essence re-peak 1 in 9 countries after 8 months of release